- St. Louis, MO, USA
- Base + Commission
- Full Time
A Commissioning Engineer works with other Bastian Robotics employees, customers and suppliers to utilize the latest technologies to integrate robotics into material handling systems for complex applications. The process involves understanding the customer's goals and objectives, and developing smart engineered solutions to meet these goals. Technologies used in this position include high level automation, 2D and 3D machine vision, optical devices, specialty conveyors, robotics, end of arm tooling, 3D modeling, and simulation. The Commissioning Engineer is responsible for supporting automation projects and will be capable of component selection, device troubleshooting, HMI development, PLC programming and debugging, robotics programming and debugging, onsite system checkout and startup, and service support. As experience grows, the Commissioning Engineer may be relied on to help tie code standards into functional programs, assist with electrical design and schematics, and perform other duties under the guidance of an Automation Engineer.
The Commissioning Engineer helps our company meet its mission to help our customers compete in their markets by providing the best robotic material handling system solutions and technology.
Superior Performance Objectives:
- Help our customers to be successful in their specific markets.
- Deliver projects that meet or exceed customer's expectations.
- Deliver projects under budgeted time and hours.
- Meet project schedule.
- Develop repeat customers.
- Contribute to project teams, providing help outside of commissioning scope when required.
- Be a great team member and contributor within the office.
- Support beneficial relationships with our key supplier products and services.
- Debug and test new implementation techniques or equipment that will help maintain Bastian Robotics as a leader in our industry.
- Technical Degree and completion of Service Path. 5+ years experience preferred.
- Bachelor of Electrical, Computer or Mechanical Engineering. 2+ years experience preferred
- Experience with Robotic Automation (ABB, Fanuc, or Yaskawa), specifically material handling systems
- Experience with machine vision
- Experience with Allen Bradley or Siemens PLCs & HMIs (or equivalent)
- Aptitude for Hands on Electrical and Mechanical troubleshooting
- 2D and 3D CAD experience (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, etc) a plus
- Extremely computer literate with MS Office products
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills
- Able to work well in teams with good communication skills
- Able to meet deadlines
- Able to handle multiple projects
- Good communication skills
- Excellent at Multi-Tasking
- Enjoys fast paced environment
- Able to travel depending on project demands and schedules, occasionally with short notice due to schedule delays or changes, up to 50-70%
- Modify and debug PLCs and HMIs per customer and Bastian specifications
- Use SolidWorks to generate and edit models for system simulations or HMI displays
- Develop simulations for reach studies, cycle time estimates and offline robot programming
- Develop and troubleshoot robotic code and maintain robotic code snipets
- Clear communication with both management, engineering, and the shop personnel
- Develop and implement standard practices to ensure quality improvement and cost reduction
- Work well with others on the Bastian Robotics Team. Have fun!
- Solve technical problems either individually or though collaboration
- End of Arm Tooling prototype construction
- Electrical device/panel layouts and schematics
- Deliver successful automation projects with regards to customer satisfaction, schedule, time, and budget.
- Communicate with other Bastian Robotics team members effectively. Check and use voice mail / e-mail diligently. Maintain the team relationship.
- Attend training and become certified in applicable technologies or programs.
- Communicate strategic information regarding suppliers, customers and competition.
- Support the Systems Checklist for systems projects.
- Identify new controls and robotics techniques or equipment that will help maintain Bastian Robotics as a leader in our industry.
- Complete all administrative tasks/paperwork in timely manner
- Track time spent by project and enter into time tracking software
- Lead training sessions for other engineers, technicians, and project managers